7.31.2009

alice in wonderland

I'm sure you have all heard by now that Tim Burton is making his version of the Alice in Wonderland story. Well, all this talk about it made me remember this spread that I had seen in a certain issue of Vogue so many times.

When I was young, my mom and I used to salvage magazines from the library all the time because they would only be a few cents and provide us tons of entertainment. We have five or six issues of Vogue, including one September issue that is massive and the December 2003 issue. Inside December 2003, there is an Alice in Wonderland spread, photographed by Annie Leibovitz and featuring an all-star cast of many of the world's top fashion designers as characters in the story [Oliver Theyskens, John Galliano, Jean Peaul Gaultier, Marc Jacobs, Donatella Versace, Tom Ford, Viktor and Rolf, Stephen Jones, Christian Lacroix, Helmut Lang, Karl Lagerfeld, Nicolas Ghesquiere]. These designers designed the very dresses that "Alice" [Natalia Vodianova] is wearing and are in the pictures with her. Sososososo stunning -- even when I knew nothing of fashion, this spread still attracted me. I will just stop talking and leave you with the pictures. Enjoy.

Image credit: ecstasy_lover@LJ
[Reading the comments on this post: "Everyone's talking about how 'contrived' the Alice theme is, but isn't this the spread that started the trend 6 years ago???" "yes ma'am, you took the words right out of my mouth. this is what everyone else is emulating." -- amazing amazing amazing.]

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I LOVED THIS SPREAD.
I AM SO EXCITED FOR THAT MOVIE.